If you are under the age of 18:
If you are over 18 years of age:
You must pass two tests to get your license in the state of WA.
You must pass the Written Knowledge Exam.
After passing the Written Knowledge Exam, you must then pass the driving skills exam.
Both of those tests can be taken at ABC Driving School! All of our instructors are WA State Certified Examiners.
* You can bring your own vehicle for the driving skills exam or pay an additional fee to use our vehicle.
Use must bring the proper identification with you to take any test. If you have a WA State ID, that is all you need. If you do not have a WA State ID, you must bring your Pre-Application number (starts with WDL) and one of the follow valid photo IDs:
- US Passport / Card
- Passport from another country
- US State Driver’s License/ID/Permit from another state- not expired more than one year.
- US Armed Services ID
- US Citizen and Immigration Services ID
- Permanent Resident Card
- Employment authorization
- US Refugee Travel Document
- US Permit to Re-Enter Document
Knowledge Test $35
Additional tries $10
Knowledge Exam is offered in seven different languages:
To prepare, study the WA State Driver’s Guide
Time: approximately one hour.
Passing: You need an 80% or higher to pass. The test is made up of 40 multiple choice questions (you need 32 or more questions correct).
Test results are good for two years.
Skills Test $45
Additional $30 to use one of our vehicles.
The Driving Skills Exam measures your ability to drive legally and safely. An examiner rides with you to evaluate your driving. They won’t try to confuse, trick, or ask you to do anything illegal.
Only you and the examiner are allowed in the car. Exceptions would be an approved service animal or supervisor, who may ride along to observe. Interpreters, parents, children, or pets can’t be in the car.
To prepare, go to Driving Test: What to Expect
Time: approximately 20 minutes.
Passing: You need an 80% or higher to pass. Your examiner will discuss your results.
Test results are good for one year.
In addition to basic driving skills and knowledge of traffic laws, you must be able to perform the following maneuvers:
- Arm Signals
- Brake Reaction Test / Emergency Stop
- Parallel Parking
- Backing Around the Corner
- Parking on a Hill
If you will be using a vehicle that you bring with you, it must be a vehicle in good working order. All of the following must work properly:
- Brakes and All Three Brake Lights
- Turn Signals
- Seat Belts
- Passenger Door (must open and close both from the inside and outside).
- Driver door window (must roll down far enough to allow you to use hand signals).
- Mirrors (outside left and inside rear view, or outside left and outside right).
- Windshield wipers, headlights, and defrosters (if weather requires them).